Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Keeping Hope Alive with Cord Blood

I am expecting and I have officially decided to bank my baby's cord blood and here are some reasons why and what others should know:

Your baby's cord blood is a rich source of stem cells, the building blocks of our blood and immune system. Cord blood transplants can currently treat over 70 diseases and new purposes for it are constantly being discovered. Currently, to take advantage of emerging regenerative medicine applications, one's own cells are needed for treatment. On top of this your baby's cord blood has the potential to save a family members life, a family member that may even have cancer.

Banking cord blood is an investment and a precautionary measure that you hope can help you if needed but one that you also hope you never have to use. With all the continued research they are finding other diseases that stem cells can aid. I think this step is an important one, especially because of my family's health history with cancer.

My father is currently in the heart of his battle with a very rare form of cancer, melanoma of the esophagus. There has only been approximately 250 other cases ever reported and it is a silent cancer. Most people do not know they have it until it's in its later stages. Who knows, maybe he will be a match and my baby's cord blood will be able to help him. All I know is that by banking cord blood I'm keeping hope alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment